Shelly Christy, MA, LMFT
Thank you for taking the time to visit the Genesis Counseling website. I have been a licensed mental health provider for many years. I find my skills and passion grow and refine with age and experience. That means you will receive the benefit of working with a trained and seasoned therapist, who has successfully helped many others.
We all struggle and find life difficult from time to time. Reaching out for help takes courage. No one is able to or expected to do it alone. Most of life’s difficulties occur in relationships, to self, others, or God. Healing is also done best in relationships. The therapy relationship is unique in that it is time set aside for you to consider the complexities of life and relationship, and find real solutions that last and add quality and meaning to your life and the lives of others around you.
I approach therapy with the utmost respect for my clients and their life experience. I am aware of the trust placed in me, and the risk being taken to reach out for help. I listen and collaborate, desiring to know and understand you and your story. I add my expertise and experience to yours as we find solutions that are uniquely yours. We set goals to allow for direction and accountability in our work. Homework is most often given to bridge the gap between the therapy hour and daily life.
Counseling can feel like an overwhelming and intimidating process, therefore a relaxed, warm atmosphere will be established where we will explore concerns through a holistic lens, investigating the multiple influences that impact our behavior and decision making.
My life experience includes teaching 4th, 6th, junior and senior high students, providing in-home behavioral health services for at risk families, and providing counseling services for faculty and staff at a major university. I am a wife, mother, step-mother and grandmother.
More than anything I am a broken vessel that God continues to show His unmerited patience and mercy to. By His great grace He has used me to assist others. I love people, and I love assisting others in getting out from under those things that interfere with living a full and purposeful life. My therapy comes from an authentic “lived it” place, because I, like you, have had my share of refining moments. It is a privilege and joy to help you find freedom and newness of life, wherever you find yourself. I continue on my journey, and would find it a great honor to join you on yours.
- BA: Health Education, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
- MA: Counseling Psychology, Bethel College and Seminary, St. Paul, MN
- Certificate: Marriage & Family Therapy, St Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
- Arizona Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy: Registered Supervisor.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Prepare/Enrich: Pre-marriage and Marriage Certified Facilitator.
I hold license as a Marriage and Family Therapist, in Arizona and Minnesota.
- The American Association of Christian Counselors
- The American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- International Association of Employee Assistance Professionals in Education (Board Secretary)
- One Year Bible Certificate: Bethany School of Missions, Bloomington, MN
- Helping People God’s Way: The American Association of Christian Counselors, Forest, VA
- Child Centered Play Therapy: Family Enhancement and Play Therapy Inc. , Boiling Springs, PA
- The Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics: The Child Trauma Academy, Houston, TX
- Marriage and Family Therapy Approved Supervisor Course: The Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Alexandria, VA
- Brene Brown; Vulnerability, Courage, Shame and Empathy: The Living Brave Continuing Education Course
- Recognizing and Responding to Suicide Risk: Essential Skills for Clinicians: Amy Kulp, MS
- Life Coach Training: The Institute for Life Coach Training, Hudson, OH
- Prepare/Enrich Certified Facilitator Training
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Training (EMDR)
- 10 Principles for doing Effective Couples Therapy & How to be an Effective Couple’s Therapist. John Gottman Ph D, and Julie Gottman Ph D, online training